I have been a professional hairstylist for 20 years and I have been working with different clients. I can tell you that the most important thing is to know your client's needs and wants, be creative, and have great communication skills.
I will give you some tips on how to become a professional hairstylist:
1) Start learning about hair products and gear. Learn what products work best on different types of hair.
2) Start by styling your own hair. It's better if you do this at home to see what works and what doesn't work for you. Try doing it with different products until you find something that works for your hair type.
3) Go to beauty schools or cosmetology schools for training or apprenticeships. If the distance is an issue, go online with courses and take them online at home or wherever there are no distractions! You can also go through YouTube tutorials too!
4) Get a mentor with experience working in the industry as a stylist or colorist or even in management positions at salons or other related businesses like spa studios, etc... Find someone willing to help guide you toward success!
5) Go to beauty conventions, expos, and trade shows in your area and network with others in the industry. Although this is not as effective as having a mentor or going to school for training, it's still a good way to learn what you need to know!
6) Start small by working at a friend's salon or other business that offers hair services like barber shops, etc...
7) Learn about products and how they work before starting any business venture involving them.